Kearsney Festival – What Can We Expect On Day Two?


Another thrilling day of schoolboy rugby is expected at the Standard Bank Kearsney Easter Rugby Festival today (Saturday). It will take a lot to match the game between Dr EG Jansen and Glenwood on the first day, where the KZN boys came from behind to snatch a one-point win and, with the clock showing full time, all dependent on a brilliant conversion from the touch-line by Jordan Hendrickse. His successful conversion gave Glenwood the victory after EG Jansen had scored four tries to Glenwood’s three.


15h45 Selborne 15-10 Glenwood (Abandoned)

The final match today is between Glenwood and Selborne College, another team who had a satisfying win against HoerskoolNoord-Kaap. What makes this game even more intriguing is that it is the first encounter between these two top sides, despite both having played at many of the same festivals. The East London side refused to play Glenwood in the last few years after the KZN team had allegedly poached a prominent Selborne player. Relations have been restored and this encounter could be the match of the day.

Match Report:

The game many were anticipating between Glenwood and Selborne, last played in 2013, was the final game of the second day.  Both teams had been victorious in earlier matches, Glenwood snatching a win against EG Jansen in the final seconds, while Selborne won comfortably against Noord-Kaap.

An early penalty in the game by Warrick Day put Selborne into a 3-0 lead.  JP van Zyl on the wing scored a try a little while later, to increase the lead to 8-0.  Lock Grant Pretorius stormed over midway in the half, converted by Day, for Selborne to lead 15-0.

Glenwood then scored a typical Glenwood try, when the ball passed through a number of hands ending with prop Blaine Golden scoring, converted by Jordan Hendrikse.  Glenwood was back in the game 7-15 down at halftime.

Shortly after the break, in dark conditions, Hendrikse narrowed the gap to 10-15 when he converted a long penalty from close to the touchline. 

With lightning in the vicinity and the alarm sounding, the match was sadly suspended, and it was later decided the game should be abandoned.

Point Scorers:

Selborne: Tries: Van Zyl, Pretorius; Conversion: Day; Penalty: Day

Glenwood: Try: Golden; Conversion: Hendrickse; Penalty: Hendrickse


14h30 DHS 12-39 EG Jansen

The penultimate match sees DHS against EG Jansen at 14h30.  On Thursday’s showing, the Boksburg side should run out comfortable winners.

Match Report:

After a full day of running rugby and a darkening sky, two jerseys, both navy and yellow, making it difficult for the referee and spectators alike.  EG Jansen did have a yellow stripe over the shoulders which helped slightly.

The visitors to KZN went into a 3-0 lead after five minutes when Kyle Potgieter converted a penalty.  This was increased five minutes later when flank Jandre Odendaal showed pace and strength to dot down, but the conversion was inside, leaving EG Jansen 8-0 up.

With DHS defending and EG running with the ball, an intercept by Brian Dosemba led to an 80m dash to score under the poles, which Shakir laDouce converted, bringing the score to 7-8 which remained until the halftime whistle.

Early in the second half, a mistake by the DHS defence saw a pop kick land in the hands of Odendaal who strolled over for his second try, converted by Potgieter, for a 15-7 lead.

EG Jansen eighth-man Franco Enslin beat the defence to score and increase their lead to 20-7. 

With DHS’ heads beginning to sag, prop Brandon Pienaar forced his way over, this time converted by Jason Edward, for the Boksburg boys to lead 27-7. 

DHS responded when centreMacneil Jenner scored after a move down the left flank to increase their score to 12.

EG Jansen was not finished though, and flyhalf Leshley October dotted down to increase their lead to 32-12.  With time up on the clock, Duane Bloem scored the final try, converted by Edwards, for a 39-12 win.

Point Scorers:

EG Jansen: Tries: Odendaal (2), Enslin, Pienaar, October, Bloem; Conversions: Potgieter, Edwards (2); Penalty: Potgieter

DHS: Tries: Dosember, Jenner; Conversion: La Douce


13h15 Welkom Gimnasium 32-16 HTS Drostdy

Drostdy did not have a great start to their season but are starting to look great again while Welkom Gim is a very established unit. Welkom Gim should win but ........

Match Report:

A low-scoring first half between HTS Drostdy and Welkom Gim saw the boys from Worcester 9-5 in the lead after three penalties by Carlton Pietersen.  It was a try by hooker MartleyBayman that gave Welkom their points.

The second half began with a second try by Bayman, his third of the festival, to put Welkom in front again.  Wing Angelo Olivier showed good pace in rounding the cover defence to score again for Welkom, this time converted by fullback Marchall Andrews, to increase the lead to 17-9.

Drostdy came right back when centre Zach le Roux got over in the corner, converted by Pietersen, to narrow the deficit to one point 16-17.

Welkom managed to move the ball rapidly to the left, finding fullback Andrews and he beat the defence to score in the corner.  Flank Macneil Matthews took over the kicking duties from Andrews and showed good skill converting from the touchline, giving his team a cushion and a 24-16 lead.

With three minutes remaining, Welkom centre Keith van Aswegen beat the defenders with good pace to increase the lead to 29-16.  A final penalty by Andrews completed a 32-16 win by Welkom.

Point Scorers:

Drostdy: Try: Le Roux; Conversion: Pietersen; Penalties: Pietersen (3)

Welkom: Tries: Andrews, Van Aswegen, Olivier, Bayman (2); Conversion: Andrews; Penalties: Andrews, Matthews


12h00 Kearsney 21-26 Hoërskool Framesby

Hosts Kearsney follows against HoerskoolFramesby and, unless the local boys improve on their first showing, they could face another heavy defeat against a team that did well to come from behind to draw against Welkom Gimnasium. The latter then play against HTS Drostdy and here the battle could be up front, with heavy forwards in both sides determining the winner.

Match Report:

The third match of the day saw hosts Kearsney College taking on HoërskoolFramesby, a well-conditioned unit from Port Elizabeth.

Framesby opened the score with a try by eighth-man Ruan Claassen, converted by Juandre Liebenberg, for a 7-point lead after two minutes. 

Kearsney came back with a try from a penalty close to the try-line, when fullback Derick Marshall burst over and, with the successful conversion by Cade Carmichael, the scores were level 7-7.

With Framesby winning the lion’s share of the ball, two further tries were scored, the first by flank Christo Grobler and the second by fullback Sebastian Brandt.  This time Liebenberg converted to give Framesby a 19-7 lead, which they held until the break.

Early in the second half hooker William Moffat ran 30m after forwards had dominated, to score under the uprights.  Liebenberg converted once again forFramesbyto lead 26-7.

With 10 minutes remaining Kearsneyfullback Marshall broke through a number of tackles and, from a subsequent ruck, the ball went to centre Luke Wilson who sniped through, scoring under the crossbar.  Jordan Bamber converted and Kearsney had narrowed the gap to 14-26.

In an entertaining finish, Kearsney kept the pressure on Framesby and centre Connor de Bruyn scored, converted by Bamber, to bring their points to 21-26.

Point Scorers:

Framesby: Tries: Brandt, Claassen, Grobler, Moffat; Conversions:  Liebenberg (3)

Kearsney: Tries:  Wilson, Marshall, De Bruyn; Conversions: Carmichael, Bamber (2)


10h45 HoërskoolTransvalia 17-22 Pretoria Boys

This is followed by HoerskoolTransvalia against Pretoria Boys High. The latter beat Kearsney relatively easily; while the Transvalians impressed against DHS.  Again, a close, tough contest could be in the offing today.

Match Report:

In contrast to the earlier game, the second game of Day 2 between HoerskoolTransvalia and Pretoria Boys High saw few points in the first half. At the break, it was Transvalia leading 5-3.

Pretoria was the first to score with a penalty by Jaden Collaros.  Transvalia’s scrumhalf Dewald Stoop used some neat footwork to get over for a try, but the conversion was just wide, giving them the 5-3 lead.  Both teams came close to scoring again but mistakes in the final pass prevented any further points.

The scores were levelled midway through the second half when wing Dian de Villiers picked up a difficult pass to dive over.  With just 10 minutes remaining, prop Wandile Madodonke barged over from a lineout and again the conversion was wide, but Pretoria Boys led 15-10.

Boys High sealed the game when Collaros went over under the poles as he added the extra points to lead 22-10 with minutes remaining.

In the final move of the game after concerted pressure in the red zone, Transvalia’s prop Willem Coertzen barged over, converted by fullback Lee-Andrew du Preez, to bring Transvalia to within five points of Boys High.

The second half was more entertaining but Boys High used their chances better for the 22-17 win.

Point Scorers:

Pretoria Boys: Tries: Caldwell, Madodonke, Collaros; Conversions: Collaros (2); Penalty: Van Rooyen

Transvalia: Tries:  Stoop, De Villiers, Coertzen; Conversions: Du Preez (2)


09h30 Hoërskool Noord-Kaap 27-21 HTS Middelburg

Predictions are always dangerous and difficult to make at festivals.  Based on the first day’s play, the match between HTS Middelburg and Noord-Kaap which kicks off today’s play at 09h30 could be closely contested, provided the Kimberley side wins sufficient ball.

Match Report:

In the first match on the second day of the Standard Bank Kearsney Easter Rugby Festival played in glorious autumn sunshine between HoërskoolNoord-Kaap and HTS Middelburg, both teams were keen to get their first win at the festival.

Noord-Kaap held a slender three-point lead at halftime, although they looked the more dangerous with ball in hand.  Wing Jacquin van Wyk opened the scoring after just five minutes when he used his pace to round the defence scoring near the touchline.  A great conversion by captain and fullback Elzandro Fredericks put them into a 7-0 lead. 

This was held for most of the half until Middelburg capitalized on a handling mistake by Noord-Kaap.  The ball passed through a few players before wing Quintino October scored under the uprights, giving Justin Botha an easy two-pointer and narrowing the gap to 7-10.

An entertaining second half saw a resurgent Middelburg come back and, with five tries scored in the second half, the appreciative crowd became increasingly vocal.  Play swung from touch-line to touch-line with both sides giving their best.

Alec Vermaak scored and converted to put Middelburg 14-10 in front.  Bradley Human replied for Noord-Kaap scoring wide out, changing the lead to 15-14. 

JP Esterhuysen put HTS back in front with a good hard running try, converted by Vermaak, to make it 21-15. 

Noord-Kaap did not stop trying and came back with a try by hooker Devin Steenkamp, converted by S Daniels, to end the exciting game 27-21 ahead.

Point Scorers:

Noord-Kaap: Tries: Van Wyk, Steenkamp, Human (2); Conversions: Fredericks, Daniels; Penalty: Fredericks

HTS Middelburg: Tries: October, Vermaak, Esterhuysen; Conversions: Botha (2), Vermaak





Please follow and like us:
error: Content is protected !!