Wales u/18 Scores 4 Tries As They Beat England


Cameron Lewis, Sam Costelow, Osian Knott and Teddy Williams crossed for Welsh tries and Costelow kicked three conversions to take his match tally 11 points. The win for Wales came on the back of a 43-40 opening day defeat to South African Schools.

Both sides made numerous changes with Steve Bates and Jim Mallinder switching 11 players in the English starting XV and Chris Horsman making seven changes in personnel in the Welsh team from the round one fixtures.

The Welsh front five were the dominant force in the first half, but England got stronger as the game wore on and they used the bench to good effect. Wales scored twice to take a 14 point lead and were 19-10 ahead at the break.
England scored either side of the interval to cut the gap to six points but was eventually outscored 4-2 on tries as they crashed to a second successive defeat following their 41-21 defeat to France. Wales meet the French in their final fixture on Saturday.

Coleg Sir Gar and Ospreys hooker Cameron Lewis was outstanding with his ball carrying and claimed the opening score of the game in the 16th minute with a try half-way out on the left after multiphase attack that stretched the English defence both ways.

Sam Costelow converted with a banana kick and then the Pencoed outside half, now playing his rugby with Leicester Tigers, scythed through the English defence from 25 metres out to score a dazzling try at the posts that he also converted.

Moments earlier Scarlets wing Harri Doel was just pushed out in the right corner after some great back line passing and Wales were on-song after a nervy start. England got off the mark with a George Barton penalty from 30 metres after offside at ruck, but Wales hit straight back with their third try.

This time it was the Sir Gar and Scarlets centre Knott who raced clear to score in the right corner to make it 19-3. England finally found their feet and Barton skipped past two defenders to cross from a try at the posts which he also converted to cut the gap to nine points at the break.

The English forwards were far more direct in the second half and denied Wales possession for long periods, but the Welsh defence stood firm. The only problem for the Welsh side was the stream of penalties they were conceding.
When lock Jac Price conceded his side's ninth penalty of the game in the 46th minute for not releasing in the tackle it gave Barton another shot at goal and he made it 19-13. Leicester Tigers lock George Martin that threw an outrageous dummy to almost reach the line, but the good defence kept him out.

Wales then reasserted their authority with a fourth try that had its origins in a 20-metre driving maul. England conceded a penalty, Wales kicked to the corner and after securing the line-out moved the opposing defence from right to left and back again for Glantaf and Blues lock Teddy Williams to bag the try.

Costelow added a superb wide-angled conversion and not even a second English try at the posts by replacement prop Harvey Beaton, which Tom Curtis improved, could dent the Welsh resolve.

Wales U18: Tries: Cameron Lewis, Sam Costelow, Osian Knott, Teddy Williams; Cons: Sam Costelow.
England U18: Tries: George Barton, Harvey Beaton; Cons: George Barton, Tom Curtis; Pens: George Barton 2.